This time, I'm doing some research.
Operation Transformation is a local collective of do-gooders and do-gooding agencies and charities whose purpose, per the blurb on its web site, is to "work together with civic and service organizations to develop ways to meet the many needs of the citizens of our community" (my italics). Its stated purposes are to "bring positive changes to the Blue Water Area . . . and to foster a united, life-giving church in the Greater Blue Water Area." The organization also "builds bridges between communities and develops relationships with those in leadership positions while facilitating a network of strategic impact." It also "collaborates with various non-profits, businesses and social change agencies to meet the physical and spiritual needs of society."
Meet needs, positive change, build bridges, facilitate, collaborate, meet the needs of the community. Sounds great, doesn't it? Let's work together.
If anyone can find a way to get someone to the funeral of his last living family member, it's a bunch of ministers and civic leaders and other assorted local Good People committed to building bridges and facilitating strategic impact. Right?
I called the bridge builders, and the Source Of All Knowledge there, with a somewhat deep pool of resources at her fingertips, without offering to call around or ask anyone in an actual leadership position, said no, we don't do that . . .
This time, I pointed out -- although I thought, after telling the story, that this would be obvious to the cat lady at the front desk of any charity -- that, once Sis's estate is settled and I get my cut, I'll have some disposable cash, no
will, no idea who to name as a beneficiary anyway, and that any agency that helps solve the transportation problem may be rewarded, either now or down the road when the estate is settled. (The Transformers, like every other do-gooding agency in town, always having their hands out; the words "donate . . . donation . . . fundraising . . . gifts . . . lasting gifts . . . share the love . . . show your love . . . " appearing in the slide show on their home page.)
While I had the young lady on the phone, out of pure curiosity, I asked her: what exactly ARE the concerned Good People mentioned in the Purpose statement doing to help make the Blue Water Area a better place in which to live?
"Well, we help with the war on drugs . . . "
That's all I needed to hear. They continue to pour money and resources down that rat hole. Well, whatever . . . if it lets them go home happy thinking that they make a difference, okay. However -- and don't ask me how I know
this -- for every person the Task Force busts, three kids shake their first bottle of meth. I don't care how many hungry people the Transformers feed: if they spend money on the "war" on drugs, they may as well throw it in the street.
But I digress.
I've always heard that it's easier to make friends than enemies. So far, everyone I've talked to during the transportation search, with the exception of two people at the Council on Aging, has gone out of his or her way to become an enemy.
I don't have a will, but I'm going to start one. Actually, it'll be an anti-will. It will name specific social agencies and charities who get NOTHING, and also make a general request that NOTHING out of whatever it is I do leave behind be used to benefit ANYONE or ANYTHING in St. Clair County Michigan. That's the down side of making enemies.
----------------------------
Previous "Try The Churches"
Next "Five Days To Go"
----------------------------------
PS -- "My Sister's Ashes" is now on Facebook. You can read text-only versions of this and all future posts at https://www.facebook.com/mysistersashes/?modal=admin_todo_tour
No comments:
Post a Comment