The St. Clair County Sally Ann isn't going to make it this year.
With five days left before Christmas, their Red Kettle donations total is $49,000 and change, about $100,000 short of what they hoped to raise by Christmas Eve.
Holy Mackinaw, Batman.
Coming up a couple thousand short could be written off as a seasonal fluke that should correct next year. A hundred thousand, especially after failing to meet their Christmas donations goal the last two years, indicates something bigger and more long-term is happening.
I don't feel bad for them. That is, I do, but I don't. I found out for myself how useless they can be. They are, however, trying do some good, and a place populated by the likes of Kroger Girl, Staples Girl, Chad Miller, and Cynthia Platzer, needs all the Sunday Morning Christian do-gooders it can get, regardless of their motivation.
------------------------------------------------------------------
No, I don't. On yesterday's out-of-town / away from St. Clair County shopping daytrip I discovered that the Salvation Army retail store in New Baltimore, Macomb County, metro Detroit where they're short about $2.6 million this year, has raised its book prices 2000 per cent. Books were 10 for a dollar if you bought 10. The same books that once cost ten cents now have 1.99 stickers on them. Round that up a penny and there you are.
Hell -- the actual place where deceased politicians look up at us mortals, not the little town in Washtenaw County -- will freeze solid before I pay $2 for a book at any thrift shop.
Port Huron also came up short, but their books still are, and have been for a long time, three hardbacks for a dollar and four paperbacks for a dollar.
I don't mind helping out even the St. Clair County Sally Ann in its time of need, but I do mind feeling, as the young people still call it, ripped off.
Why are their donations down? It can't be the economy, stupid. Things are booming. Haven't been this good since the Roaring Fifties; at least that's what I hear. Now I'm wondering if their collective nastiness of the sort already described here -- and that includes charging $2 for books -- is finally catching up with them, and that's the reason why folks don't like them anymore.
I'll bet it is.
---------------
Previous "Even At Christmas"
Next "Adieu, Madame Justice"
No comments:
Post a Comment