Thursday

The St. Clair County Council On Aging, Part One

It's been a while, so let's recap:

My sister's memorial service is February 2, in Flint. I have no way to get there. The definitive source of all knowledge at the Salvation Army, the cat lady who answers the phone, has said NO, we don't do that. (God bless you, red kettlers ... more about YOU later).

Next on the list of phone numbers is the United Way.

The definitive source of all knowledge there says: try the Council on Aging. What a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Called the Council. Now, things get interesting.

The definitive source of all knowledge there, without bothering to transfer me to anyone -- and I know she's not the only person in the building -- needs two seconds to say NO, we don't do that. Actually, she's hoping I'll just go away so she can go back to playing Candy Crush on her phone, but I don't give up that easily. I'll call them back tomorrow.

Google has directed me to Michigan 2-1-1.  This, for you 2 per centers who've never had to BEG for transportation to a funeral, is a resource that "connects people with information and resources to build healthy, safe communities."  I'm instructed to "hold the cursor over (my) county on the map to view (my) local call center contact information ... "

For St. Clair County, 2-1-1 has NOTHING. (But I'm still reminded, every day since this, of what a wonderful place SC Co is to grow old in.)


That's okay, though. There's still time. I'll give the Council another try tomorrow. 

-----------

Previous "Salvation Transportation"
Next "The St. Clair County Council On Aging, Part Two"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 PS -- "My Sister's Ashes" is now on Facebook. You can read text-only versions of this and all future posts at https://www.facebook.com/mysistersashes/?modal=admin_todo_tour





No comments:

Post a Comment